Get rid of your “saddlebags” and make your hips lean and toned with these exercises that target your outer thighs.
You know already how to tone up your inner thighs, so here are 10 exercises that help you lose fat on your outer thighs. You may do the whole workout or just incorporate some of the exercises into your leg day.
Toned Outer Thighs Workout
Before the main workout, warm up your muscles and joints.
1) Sumo Jump Squat
Reps: 10 Jumps
- Stand with your legs a bit wider than your shoulders, toes pointed outward.
- Slowly lower your body into a squat position, then, pushing through your heels, make a sudden jump up, keeping your legs straight. Return back into a squat position.
- Do 10 Sumo Jump Squats.
2) Resistance Band Side Kicks
- Fix the resistance band so there is a loop. Step inside the loop with one leg and draw it to the side and pause for 2 seconds. You should lift the leg and feel the tension in your hip. Do 10 reps.
- Bring the leg to the starting position. Do the same with the other leg.
3) Resistance Band Clam Shell
Reps: 10 each side
- Wrap a resistance band around your thighs. Lay down on the floor with your knees bent in a 90-degree angle. Slowly lift your upper leg as if opening like a clam shell. Then lower your leg back. Repeat 10 times.
Outer Thighs Workout
4) Sumo Squats
- Stand with your legs a bit wider than your shoulders, toes pointed outward. Slowly lower your body into a squat position, pause, then do up keeping your legs straight. Do 20 reps.
5) Lateral lunges
Reps: 15 each leg
- Start off standing up straight with a slight bend in your knees.
- Step out to your side with your left leg and squat down through your hips.
- Lower yourself towards the floor so that your front leg is parallel with the floor and hold for a count.
- Return back to the starting position. Do 15 times for each leg.
Note: You can do lateral lunges with a dumbbell.
6) Cable Hip Abduction
Reps: 15 each leg
- Start off setting up an ankle strap or cable onto a low pulley cable machine and attaching it to your left ankle.
- Raise your left leg out to the side. Pause and squeeze for two seconds before slowly lowering.
- Repeat 15 for each leg.
Note: You can do Hip Abduction lying on the floor or using an exercise ball.
7) Fire Hydrant
Reps: 15 each side
- Go on all fours and slowly lift your left leg out to your side, take a little pause and return to the starting position. Repeat with the other leg.
- Do 15 reps for each side.
8) Curtsy Lunges
Reps: 15 each leg
- Stand feet hip width.
- Lunge one foot back behind you until front thigh is parallel with the floor and left knee is nearly touching the floor. Pause for two seconds and return back to a starting position.
- Do 15 reps for each leg.
9) Hip Abduction
- Start off sitting on the machine and place your knees against the pads.
- Draw your abs in and abduct or move your thighs apart against the pads.
- Slowly return to the starting position. Repeat 20 times.
10) Side Leg Lifts
- Lie on your side and lift your straight leg up feeling the tension in your hips.
- Slowly and controlled lower your leg down. Repeat 20 times for both legs.
Balance is success. So eat clean, do cardio and strength training workouts to get rid of fat and tone up your thighs.
Vary your workouts every time, work over all the leg muscles with this Super Effective Cable Workout for Glutes and Legs.
Get our newsletter! One email per week. No spam. Unsubscribe with one click.