Will your meal boost or bust your workout? Here are some healthy meal and snack ideas to give you enough energy for the most vigorous workout.
Avoid eating right before the workout. Eat a larger meal two to three hours before your workout, and have a snack 30 minutes to an hour before your workout.
Pre-Workout Meal Ideas
A meal should include a lean protein, vegetables, and complex carbohydrates.
- 1/3 cup brown rice, 4-6oz lean meat, 1 cup green vegetable.
- Chipotle salad or burrito bowl (avoid dressing, cheese, and sour cream, if possible).
- Turkey & cheese roll ups, carrots & hummus, and pretzels.
- Sandwich of whole-wheat bread with avocado, meat, and vegetables.
- Veggie omelet with 2 slices of whole-wheat toast.
- Egg-white oatmeal: ½ cup oatmeal + 2-3 egg whites (add cinnamon or top with fresh berries).
- Protein smoothie: 1-cup liquid, ½-frozen banana, ½ cup frozen fruits or vegetables, and 1 scoop protein powder.
Pre-Workout Snack Ideas
A snack should include a burst of energy with healthy fats and low glycemic index. Here are a few ideas:
- Celery sticks with 2 tbs. almond butter.
- Handful of nuts (limit to ¼ cup and choose lightly salted or no salt).
- Green apple – the natural sugar will give you an energy boost.
- 2 hard-boiled eggs.
- One packet of tuna (low-sodium is a healthy choice).
- ½ protein bar (eat ½ before and save the other half for after your workout).
- Non-fat latte & banana (coffee is a wonderful afternoon pick-me-up pre-workout).
- Non-fat Greek yogurt .
Get our newsletter! One email per week. No spam. Unsubscribe with one click.