Take a look at these 15 gut-busting workouts!
This exercise targets EVERY ab muscle you have.
- Lie on your back with arms and legs extended so your body creates an ‘X’ shape.
- Inhaling and drawing your bellybutton to the ground, lift legs and hips up and over your head while bringing your upper body and arms up past them.
- Repeat 20 times.
2. Twisted Sit-ups
A dance class favorite, these altered sit-ups incorporate your entire abdominal region, including your obliques.
3. Knee Tuck
We like this exercise for it’s ability to target your “pooch” area.
- Start on your back with your knees bent, arms stretched overhead with palms facing the ceiling.
- Raise hips up and open knees, bringing them into your underarms. Exhale and return to starting position.
- Do 20 reps.
4. The Cobra
This yoga pose engages your abs as well as gives you a great stretch.
- Lie face-down on the ground and place your hands on the ground, then lift your head, neck, shoulders, abs, and finally hips off the ground and hold this stretch for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- If you look like a cobra then you’re doing it right.
5. The Ballet Twist
- Lie on the floor with your legs slightly bent, then raise your torso up and twist to one side.
- Hold your twist for a few seconds than go back to lying down and repeat on the other side.
- Do several sets of 15-20 reps.
6. Opposite Arm and Leg Raise
A great way to balance your core.
- Get on all fours and then raise your left arm and right leg straight out.
- Hold for a couple seconds then touch your elbow to your knee before placing it back on the ground and switching sides.
- Do 15-20 reps at a time.
7. The Pilates Hundred
Here’s a great pilates ab exercise:
- Lie down with your knees raised off the ground and bent.
- Inhale and raise your hands, head, and shoulders off the ground.
- Pump your arms up and down 6 inches off the ground, pump 5 times on every inhale and 5 on very exhale until you hit 100.
- Then get ready to start again.
8. Twisting Side Plank
- Lay on the ground sideways and pick yourself up with one arm; while you are balancing yourself on one hand.
- Put your freehand behind your head and turn your torso until the elbows touch.
- Repeat for at least 20 reps on each side, this really engages your core.
9. The Plank
This position will help engage your core, while adding arm and leg movements will help burn belly flab and flatten your stomach.
10. Butterfly Sit-ups
- This variation of your everyday sit-up requires you to press your feet together, bringing your legs into butterfly position.
- Engaging both your upper and lower abdominals, inhale and curl up to a sitting position.
- Exhale as you return to starting position.
- Start with 25 reps and work your way up to a higher number.
11. Knee Curl
This exercise goes a step beyond your usual plank, and can also be done with hands on blocks and your feet on the ground.
- While in plank position, inhale and draw one knee into your chest, creating the feeling of pulling your bellybutton back into your spine.
- Exhale and return to plank position and repeat with other knee.
- Start with 10 reps.
12. Side Plank
Your obliques need a workout too, and side planks are the perfect staple and most basic exercise for melting away muffin top and trimming your sides down.
13. Side Plank Crunches
- Begin in a side elbow plank with your left elbow down and your right hand behind your head.
- Keeping your torso stable and your waist lifted, bring your right leg up toward your shoulder to lightly tap your right elbow.
- Lengthen your right leg back to the starting position to complete one rep.
- Do 10 reps on each side to complete a set. Do three complete sets.
14. Dumbbell Wood Chop
- Hold a light dumbbell with a hand-over-hand grip, your arms extended above your right shoulder.
- Keeping your arms straight but not locked, bend at the knees and forcefully rotate your torso to the left as you draw your arms down and across your body.
- When your hands reach the outside of your left ankle, pause, then quickly reverse the movement with the same intensity, pausing at the top.
Variations: You can do this exercise using a ball or a cable.
15. Weighted Bicycle
While lying your back, bicycle your legs and arms slowly and simultaneously, coordinating your right arm with your left leg and visa versa.