Arrrgh! Lower lower belly fat is one of those seriously frustrating parts of the body that seems to stay on forever. Anyone who has already lost weight, toned up, put in the hard work, done everything right, but just can’t seem to get rid of that lower belly bulge will know what we are talking about. So what is the secret of how to lose lower belly fat?
In this article, we are going to show you where lower belly fat comes from and why it is so stubborn. Then, we will give you an abs workout video that you can follow . Finally, to take your training further and lose belly fat faster, we will share the 7 most effective exercises to target the lower abs.
Lower Belly Fat Explained
There are two reasons for a bulging lower belly. The first one is obvious.
Lower Belly Fat
The bulge comes from the fat, simple as that. And by now, in the year 2015, you should know that there is no such thing as spot reduction. You can’t magically lose fat just around your belly – even if the TV ads for the abs belt tell you otherwise!
The lower belly unfortunately is often one of the last areas from which people lose fat. It appears to be just stubborn. This is especially true for women, as women are hormonally predisposed to store fat in the sides (love handles), lower belly area and thighs.
Getting rid of these last few pounds is like any weight loss program.
So if the question is how to lose lower belly fat, the answer is: Control your calorie intake and exercise. If you’re not seeing results, you may need to implement a new workout routine, step up your intensity or get even stricter with your diet.
The one tip we have for your diet is to choose a diet low in carbohydrates and high in monounsaturated fats. Research from the Reina Sofia University Hospital in Cordoba, Spain, suggests that a diet rich in monounsaturated fats may be more effective than a carbohydrate rich diet in burning belly fat.
Foods that are high in monounsaturated fats include:
- Olives and olive oil
- Canola oil
- Nuts and nut oil
- Sesame, flaxseed
- Dark chocolate
The diet that includes many of these foods is a calorie-controlled Mediterranean Diet. Being based on Mediterranean cooking, this is a rather delicious way to lose belly fat.
For most effective weight loss, the diet needs to be accompanied by exercise.
Short, highly intense training has been proven to be highly effective in weight loss.
Often termed High Intensity Interval Training, this form of exercise is quick and effective. Just take your favorite exercise and, instead of performing it at a steady pace for a long period, go all out for short periods, rest briefly, then repeat 8-10 times.
The second, not so obvious reason to a lower belly bulge can be bad posture. In fact, a belly bulge may be due to the pelvis being tilted too far forward and downward, so-called “excessive anterior pelvic tilt”. It may make your belly look bigger than it really is. There are stretches and exercises to improve your posture.
Training the Lower Abs
Once you have lost the fat around the lower belly and improved your posture, it is time to make those abs pop. Training your lower abs will tone and define your lower belly area.
Abs Workout to Lose Lower Belly Fat
Follow this abs workout video for a crazy effective training routine!
Lower Abs Exercises
If you prefer to create your own training plan, here are seven amazingly effective exercises that target the lower abs. Incorporate them into your workouts two or three times a week.
1) Leg Raise
- Start off either lying on a flat bench or lying down on the floor, keeping your hands under your hips to support your back as this will be the starting position of the exercise.
- Once in position, keep your feet together and your toes pointed out, slowly raise your legs up towards the ceiling squeezing your ab muscles in the process.
- Continue on the motion upward while squeezing your lower abs then once you reach the top position, pause and hold for a count, then slowly return back to the starting position in a controlled manner.
2) Flutter Kicks
- Lay down on your stomach, lift your head up a bit, and keep your arms out by your sides or bent at the elbows.
- Once in position, bring your knees and feet up off of the floor and kick your legs back and forth.
3) Cross Body Crunches
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your hands behind your head.
- Do not clasp your hands together. Engage your abs, lifting your shoulders and upper back off of the ground.
- At the same time, move your right elbow toward your left knee so that they meet in the middle of your body.
- Switch your position by bringing your left elbow to your right knee.
- Continue as quickly as possible while still keeping your torso raised up off the ground.
- Start by lying on your right side with legs extended out, one foot on top of the other and placing your right elbow right underneath your right shoulder.
- Elevate your hips and draw inward towards your spine, lifting the body onto the forearm and hold for 30 seconds to a minute then lower back to the floor.
- Repeat for as many reps and sets as desired then repeat with the opposite side.
5) Boat Pose
- Start off by sitting on a mat and leaning back with your hands and keeping your pelvis forward.
- Shift your abs so that they are closer in towards your spine and then lift your legs in the air with feet together and toes pointed out.
- Keeping your legs straight reach your hands forward towards your knees and hold this position for up to 5 seconds.
- Start off by kneeling on all fours and aligning both hands right below your shoulders keep your knees beneath your hips.
- Extend both of your feet out behind you and squeeze on your core muscles, making sure that your body is aligned straight.
- Hold this position for about 30 seconds to a minute.
- Release, return back to the starting position and repeat for as many times as you would like to perform this exercise.
7) Split and Tuck
- Start off lying down with your back on the floor or an exercise mat, with your arms behind your head, and your legs split.
- Bring your knees together and slowly elevate your legs up in the air until your hips are off the floor.
- Lower the legs to split and repeat.
Do these exercises 2-3 times a week, in addition to 2 HIIT workouts per week. If you do that and watch your diet, you will lose lower belly fat in no time!