We all love the feeling when we achieve our desired goal of weight loss. We’ve tried the latest and trendiest diets. Most diets are achievable, yet some are more difficult than others – but still attainable. However, weight loss has a dark side – the vicious cycle of weight regain!
Weight regain is real and happens very often. But is there any solution that can help us avoid weight regain? We are going to spoil the surprise for you…the answer is YES!
Three Popular Weight Loss Methods and the Reasons for Weight Regain
1. The Fitness Center
You signed up for a fitness center and now you are excited and motivated for an annual workout on an elliptical. You can’t wait for the next spinning session. Why doesn’t this keep up for most people?
According to Shery Paghoto, Ph.D from “Psychology Today”, exercise is uncomfortable. This is true, but there is a lot more to that.
- Gyms are time consuming
- Social connections – if you don’t sign up with a friend, high chances you are doomed for a very short membership
- Takes time to see results
- Some machines are really not comfortable for people and they don’t enjoy using them
2. Trendy Diets
Losing weight is easy, but keeping it off is the real task! But why is persistent weight maintenance so hard? Following are some reasons why you regain weight after following trendy diets.
- We All Want a Quick Fix: As a society, we have been hard wired to expect everything as early as possible. You may get the rapid results in the short term, regardless of whether you avoid carbs and continuously keep a record of the calories you intake. The reality is that our bodies will start fighting against weight loss soon after the dieting has stopped.
- You Are Always Hungry: The influence of hunger is three times stronger than slowing down of metabolism. For most people, the lost weight creeps back on. In other words, the more weight you lose, the more you gradually compensate by eating more.
- Mental Lapse: Weight loss is a long journey that requires great mental and psychological preparation and sacrifice. Once people reach their goal weight, they stop their “diet” just there, instead of continuing a maintenance program.
3. Bariatric Surgery
- Bariatric surgery is a costly invasive surgery, and the mortality rate has been reported at approximately 1:1,000
- About 25% of bariatric patients have to go through a 2nd operation
- Some patients suffer from depression after bariatric surgery
- 5 years after surgery 50% of patients regain a significant amount of weight they lost
- Their stomach stretches out after 3 years
- Hormones that induce appetite return with a vengeance
- Patients learn how to overcome the surgery
It is clear that food consumption is not the main problem. There are many reasons for weight regain – most of which are psychological and environmental.
But there is one company that deals not only with weight loss, but with weight regain as well. The Spatz3 gastric balloon is the world’s only adjustable gastric balloon that will help you lose weight and keep it off!
The Solution for Weight Regain
According to Dr. Jeff Brooks, CEO and inventor of the Spatz, “Our philosophy at Spatz is NOT to stop eating, that will not bring long term success. Since, without a significant mental change in attitude and without a new approach to eating, any short term success will be just that… short-lived. Whichever program you choose, if at the end of the program you are not thinking and acting like a person with a healthy lifestyle, then the program was not successful.”
Gastric balloons come in various shapes, forms and materials. They have been around for over 30 years. Originally it was believed that gastric balloons have simply occupied space in your stomach so you eat less. But it does a lot more than that.
Gastric Balloons have significant impact on patients. Firstly, they take up space, but more importantly, they cause food to linger in your stomach longer than usual. Your stomach will start sending signals to remind your brain about the amount of food you have eaten in the previous days. In essence, you become more aware of what you’ve been eating.
The language of the balloon is that of symptoms and signals such as belching, bloating, cramping, gassiness etc. Once a patient receives those signals, which are mild in the beginning, the patient learns how to respond and eventually eat less.
How Does an Adjustable Balloon Help to Prevent Weight Regain
The main drawback of gastric balloons is that their effect diminishes over time and weight can be regained by the 4th or 5th month. The problem is that this happens while the balloon is still implanted in your stomach.
When standard balloons (all balloons that are non-adjustable) lose effect after 3-4 months, Spatz3 is the only balloon whose volume can be increased, extending the treatment to one year. This gives the patient more time for the stomach to signal back to the brain, “eat less of this, and eat more of that”. The balloon will remind people what they ate the last few days and keep them in check.
This helps people think and act like a healthy person – they know how they ate over the last week and based on that, decide what they can eat accordingly.
To reach this goal of thinking like a healthy person – time is a factor with gastric balloons. Extending an effective treatment helps people lose weight and change their attitude towards food. Once that is reached, the chance for weight regain dramatically drops.
“Our goal at Spatz is to help you think and act like a person with healthy eating habits.”
This is the latest revolution in intragastric balloons and is only available with the Spatz3 Adjustable Balloon.