Tired of push-ups? Challenge your arms, shoulder and back with these alternative bodyweight exercises. And then rock a new strapless dress!
Do this arms and shoulders home workout three times per week, combining it with a sensible eating and cardiovascular exercises.
Do three sets of each exercise.
1) Thumb Arm Figure 8
This exercise eliminates arm jiggling and strengthens your shoulders.
Works: arms, shoulders
- Stand with your arms out, thumbs up.
- Tip your thumbs back, move them down and then back to begin tracing a figure 8.
- at the bottom of the circle turn thumbs forward and continue.
- Trace the rest of the figure 8 ending with your thumbs up. That’s one rep.
- Do 40 reps.
2) Dolphin Dive
Works: back, shoulders
- Begin in Quarter Dog. Press your hips and shoulders back toward your feet, lengthening through your spine. Press your heels down toward the ground, tilt your tailbone up slightly to feel a stretch in your lower back.
- Take a deep breath in and as you exhale, dive forward, coming into Plank. Hips must be in line with your shoulders, so your body is parallel with the ground. If this is difficult, rest one or both knees on the floor.
- Inhale back to the start position.
- Do 15 reps.
3) Triceps Dip
- Sit on the floor knees bent, feet on the floor, hands behind you with your fingers turned toward your body. Lift your hips off the floor.
- Slowly bend your elbows and lower your body close too the floor. Keep your core engaged and elbows together. Extend your arms and repeat.
- Do 15 reps.
4) Pike Push-ups
Start in a push-up position, walk your feet toward your arms until your butt is pointing up in the air.
- Place your hands directly under your shoulders, keeping your elbows extended.
- Bend your elbows to lower your forehead toward the ground, stopping just before it touches. Go back to the starting position.
- Do 10-12 reps.
5) One Hand Wall Push-ups
Note: The further your feet are from the wall, the more difficult it is. If One Hand Wall Push-up is complicated, do it with two arms.
Works: arms, chest
- Stand about 3 feet away from a wall and lean forward, placing one hand shoulder-width apart against the wall.
- Bend your elbows and bring your chest toward the wall, then push away until your arms are straight again.
- Keep your body in a flat, straight line from your head to your toes.
- Do 15 reps.
6) One Arm Plank
Works: arms, core
- Start in plank position on your forearms.
- Slowly lift your right arm, extending it out in front of you. Keep your back flat and imagine you’re reaching for something that is in front of you but it’s hard to get.
7) Weight Free Rows
Works: triceps, biceps, back
- Stick your elbows in your waist and clench your fist.
- Hold your forearm away from your body perpendicularly parallel to the floor. Rotate your forearms the way you would row a boat.
8) Plank Rotation
Works: shoulders, arms, core
- Stand in a plank, from this position rotate the trunk in one controlled move to one side, extending the arm and keeping the body in a straight line.
- Hold this position for a few seconds and go back to a plank position.