Laughter is the best medicine! Why? Here are six healthy reasons why you have to laugh today.
1. Laughing Decreases Stress
When feeling stressed after reading about what’s going on in the world, flip the newspaper to the comics and lighten the mood. Researchers at the Indiana State University have found in a recent survey that laughter may reduce stress and improve the chances to survive cancer and HIV..
2. Laughing Prevent Heart Disease
The University of Maryland conducted a study linking laughter to cardiovascular health. It causes endothelium, the tissue that composes the lining of blood vessels, to expand, allowing for better blood flow.
3. Laughing Is a Good Exercise
According to research conducted at the University of Maryland School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland, laughter may give the same positive effect as exercise. Laughter yoga is a relatively new, yet effective, healing tool. The classes combine laughter outbursts with yoga breathing techniques.
4. Laughter Is a Natural Pain Reliever
Laughter eases fear and anger, allowing us to deal better with a bad situation. More people are turning to laughter to ease their troubled minds as well as their bodies.
5. Laughter Reduces Aggression
Releasing negative emotions, like aggression, fear or anger, in a positive way through laughter provides important psychological benefits. Having a pet is good for your mental and physical health. Studies show that pets can protect you depression, stress, and even heart disease.
6. Laughing Boosts Immune System
Decreasing stress hormones, improving circulation and oxygen intake, and releasing negative emotions can boost your immunological responses and keep you healthy.
The Benefits of Laughter
Physical Health Benefits
- Boosts immunity
- Lowers stress hormones
- Decreases pain
- Relaxes your muscles
- Prevents heart disease
Mental Health Benefits
- Adds joy and zest to life
- Eases anxiety and fear
- Relieves stress
- Improves mood
- Enhances resilience
Social Health Benefits
- Strengthens relationships
- Attracts others to us
- Enhances teamwork
- Helps defuse conflict
- Promotes group bonding
How to Laugh More
Humor and playful communication strengthen our relationships by triggering positive feelings and fostering emotional connection.
- Watch a funny movie or TV show.
- Go to a comedy club.
- Read the funny pages.
- Seek out funny people.
- Share a good joke or a funny story.
- Host game night with friends.
- Play with a pet.
- Go to a “laughter yoga” class.
- Goof around with children.
- Do something silly.
- Make time for fun activities (e.g. bowling, miniature golfing, karaoke).
Ways to See The Lighter Side of Life
- Laugh at yourself.
- Attempt to laugh at situations rather than bemoan them.
- Surround yourself with reminders to lighten up.
- Keep things in perspective.
- Pay attention to children and emulate them.
Laugh Your Abs Away
Get our newsletter! One email per week. No spam. Unsubscribe with one click.