If you goal is to lose weight and you are doing it only through dieting, then you may risk not only to lose your muscles but also slow down the metabolism.
To burn fat, maintain your muscles and keep the metabolism up, you need to include workouts into your regimen as the more muscles you have, the more fat you’ll burn. Aim for 3 weight trainings per week, add cardio and don’t forget about healthy diet, good sleep and rest days.
Each exercise has a “how-to-do” video instruction but if you want watch the whole video, scroll down to the end of the article.
Pre Workout Warm Up and Stretching:
Do each warm up exercise for 30 seconds.
1. Cross Jacks
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, and extend your arms straight out to either side with palms facing down.
- Jump and cross right foot over your left bringing your hands overhead.
2. Butt Kickers Exercise
- Stand tall, hips-width apart.
- Similar to jogging in place, bring your heels to your butt rapidly, alternating leg.
3. Knee Thrusts With Double Tap
- Stand tall, hips-width apart. Lift your knee high towards your hands and hands in towards your knee.
- Tap twice. Engage your abs as the knee comes up.
- Pump your arms to warm up your upper body.
4. Standing Cat Stretching
- Inhale and bend your torso below pushing it toward the ground then exhale as you lift your torso above toward the ceiling. Repeat several times.
Full Blasting Fat Burning Workout
Whether you are working with your bodyweight or add weights, resistance training is an effective method that helps build muscle and burn fat. Try to do compound movements or use superset approach or do both as in this full blasting fat burning workout to incorporate more muscles and add intensity to the workout and get the “afterburn effect.“
Works: whole body
You’ll need: no equipment
Do each exercise for 40 seconds. No rest between exercises in the set. Finish the set and rest for 20 seconds.
1. Jump Squats
- Start in a squat with your arms by your sides.
- Swing your arms to the ceiling, and jump.
- Land quietly as you return to the squat position.
2. Squat to Shoulder Press
- Hold some weight at your shoulders, standing with your feet hip-width apart.
- Push your hips back and lower into a squat, keeping your chest upright and your knees over your toes.
- As you push through your heels to return to standing, press the weight overhead.
- Lower the weights to return to the starting position.
1. Curtsy Lunges to Burpee
- Start from standing, and step your left leg behind you and to the right so your thighs cross, bending both knees as if you were curtsying.
- Do the same on the other side and then jump into Burpee.
4. Supported V-Sit Up
Sit on the floor with your hands behind your back, knees bent and feet flat. Lift your feet and bring your torso and knees together. Don’t lower your feet.
Start in a plank position. Rotate your torso to the right, raising your right arm toward the ceiling as you roll onto the outside of your left foot. Pause, then repeat on the other side.
Cool Down and Stretching
Finish your workout with stretching.
Back Extension Stretch